Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Rules for approaching me if you're into MLM

So, you're in MLM and you want talk to me about it? Here are 5 simple rules you must follow to have any hope of selling me on your business.


  • Determine if I'm in you're target market. Contrary to popular belief, you're target market is not anyone who happens to be over 18 and breathing. Remember both sales and marketing start the same way, qualifying the prospect. The difference is that marketing qualifies a segment of the market and selling qualifies the indivual.


  • Do not under any circumstances attempt to sell me your opportunity. I will be more interested in your product or service. See, without a viable product or service, you have no business. If I like your product or service enough, then and only then will I decide if I'm even interested in your business.


  • You must be deriving most of your income from sales of your product or services. Oh, and I'll want to see proof of that. If you can't sell it, how do you expect me to sell it? If you aren't making money at it, how do you expect to teach me?


  • I don't like sales people. I don't like marketing people. They both have the same flaw, they assume that I'm interested in whatever they have to sell, and therefore have the right to contact me at will. WRONG!!!!!!!!


  • It's not a fracking opportunity, it's a business. You must market, you must sell. If you disagree with that, don't get anywhere near me.



If you like my rules, please feel free to link to them.

2 comments:

  1. I would add:

    If you have not been savvy enough to Google your product and/or company name and/or company founder with the words FRAUD and SCAM and objectively consider any results, please don't come near me. I will find your ignorance and/or void of personal ethics repugnant.

    If you're in the $40/bottle juice or expensive nutritional supplement "miracle" businesses, puhleeeze don't insult my intelligence with overblown, if not illegal, snake oil claims loosely based on placebo effect and pseudo-science. There's a good reason why the FDA keeps you in their sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The following paragraph from this post is music to my ears.

    "Do not under any circumstances attempt to sell me your opportunity. I will be more interested in your product or service. See, without a viable product or service, you have no business. If I like your product or service enough, then and only then will I decide if I'm even interested in your business."

    As a society we have become obsessed with opportunity and dreams but have become disconnected with the work that is required to fulfill the promise of both.

    There is no easy money. There are no guarantees. The only opportunity there is is the opportunity to work, to produce and to deliver a service.

    If you are going to offer an MLM opportunity make sure it is tied to something that delivers a solution not an expectation.

    ReplyDelete